How I upgraded my Galaxy Tab GT-P1000T from Android 2.2 (Foryo) to
I have heard and read reports that Gingerbread was a more refined
version of android that fixed many of the "annoying" characteristics on
android 2.2 (froyo) to make the Tab a more iPad like experience. It took
me several days of research before I decided on what amounts to brain
surgery on my much loved, 1 week old Telstra GT-P1000T Tab.
Many people have had success with the upgrade and it seemed pretty
straight forward. It was comforting to find other have documented the up
of my particular model. Some upgrade experiences can be found here:
There are some great advice here:
All files required for the Galaxy tab upgrade can be found here at "Team
Team Overcome seams to be one of the web's best authorities on the
Galaxy Tab upgrade, even releasing their own turbo-charged version of
Gingerbread. I stopped at the latest Version 5 of stock Android
Gingerbread ROM without further installing the Overcome ROM 3.1.0.
Warning! Before flashing you Tab you should know the following:
- Flashing the Tab WILL void the Telstra warranty.
- There is a chance that your Tab will become a paperweight.
- You will loose all Telstra's "bonus" software such as "Navigon"
Before starting the upgrade:
- I have only done this on a PC running Windows XP but it should
work with both Vista and Windows 7. Apple PCs are not supported by
the following procedures.
- Your Tab must be fully charged.
- You need to backup your data before you start. I used Titanium
backup but was unable to find out how to "ROOT" the new Italian
2.3.3 Gingerbread so was unable to restore.
- Read the instruction from the "How To" tutorials above. I read
each a few times to become familiar with the process.
- Allow 2-3 hours free of interruptions to do the upgrade. You
need to watch the PC just in case windows decides to upgrade
components and reboots during the flash.
- Download all necessary files before starting.
After outlining the warnings, I must admit that the upgrade was easier
and quicker than I thought. here is a summary of the process:
- Install and link your Tab to Samsung's Kies software to get the latest
versions of drivers.
superoneclick to root your Tab and get "Superuser" privileges.
Here is a good
guide to "ROOTING" for dummies.
- Once you have superuser privileges, you can backup your data using
Titanium Backup (available form Android Marketplace)
- Download and run the
bootloader patcher on your Tab to ensure that the bootloader is not
encrypted. It was ok on my Tab but its a good idea to check.
- Run ODIN3 software from the GB-Stock-Safe-v5.zip download from Team
- Follow the instructions according to
Overcome and install the JK3 Modem option (this is for Telstra
- The flashing process only took about 10 minutes on my system and the
unit should reset to the new Android Gingerbread 2.3.3.
Good luck with the upgrade!